Edith Mary Oldfield RIP

It was with much sadness that we learnt of the recent death of Edith Mary Oldfield (nee Nolan), a lifelong member of Bollington Parish who was a regular worshipper with friends and family here, principally at Holy Trinity Church, Kerridge.

Mary was born on 9 February 1917 at Wellington Road in Bollington. Following her wedding at St Oswald’s Church on 22 July 1940, her early married life was spent at Redway in Kerridge before moving 33 years ago to South West Avenue. Thanks to the dedicated care of her daughter Hilary, Mary was able to remain living independently at home until her death on 10 March 2018, having reached the great age of 101 years old. It seemed that seven was a lucky number for Mary: both she and her late husband Jack (from Jackson Lane, Kerridge) coincidentally grew up as one of seven children in each of their families, and just before WW2 their romance began to blossom when with a group of young friends they used to walk down Seven Sisters (now Flash Lane) to socialise in Prestbury.

Mary was a person of great faith, willing to serve others in the most humble and practical ways – she regularly baked delicious scones and almond slices for church fetes and took pride in scrubbing the stonework at the entrance of Holy Trinity Church, which consequently had the cleanest doorsteps in the whole parish! She took part in the final celebration service in September 2009 at Holy Trinity when balloons were let go of, symbolising our positive faith for the future. Mary admired the subsequent conversion of Kerridge Church into a splendid dwelling and along with over 800 other local people in 2014 here at St Oswald’s she placed a tile in the community mosaic which adorns the much needed new extension that was funded by the proceeds from the sale of Holy Trinity.

Mary was one of the kindest people you could meet, who was always genuinely interested in others rather than dwelling on any of the increasing infirmities that came upon her in later years. Her family was very important to her and she was a delight to visit, invariably having a twinkle in her eye and a whispered blessing for every welcome guest. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

The former Holy Trinity church at Kerridge

Visit by some parishioners

Thanks to the kind hospitality of the present owner, a group of parishioners visited the former Holy Trinity Church in Kerridge this afternoon! The building has been imaginatively transformed into a delightful home which has kept all the beauty of the church whilst offering an incredibly versatile, warm and welcoming living space. May God bless all who dwell there, now and in the future!