Church pictureWelcome to St Oswald's!

The parish church of Bollington

Bollington Road, Bollington Cross, SK10 5EG
01625 422849

About us

Facebook


veronicaOur Vicar

Revd Canon Veronica Hydon has been Vicar of Bollington since March 2007. After a brief spell as a primary school teacher, Veronica spent 13 years as a marine cargo insurance broker in the City of London, starting in 1975, the year that women were first allowed into the Room at Lloyd's. Ordained deacon in 1991 at St Paul's Cathedral to serve in the East London parish of Poplar, she was one of the first women to be ordained priest in 1994. From 1995 she served as Priest-in-Charge of a small Essex village whilst working as Lay Development Officer for Chelmsford diocese before moving in 2000 to serve as Vicar of Forest Gate, another inner city parish. After marrying Dave, in 2003 they moved up to the parish of Timperley in Chester diocese. She was made an Honorary Canon of Chester Cathedral in March 2014 and is currently also the Rural Dean of Macclesfield..

picture by Ian Walker

Michael FoxOur Curate

Revd Michael Fox joined us in June 2014 after a career as the first Literary Manager at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester, a drama producer & director at the BBC, the co-founder of The Commonwealth Film Festival and subsequently as the owner of a media company that numbered the BBC and the Open University amongst its clients. Michael is part-time, filling the rest of his week with research for a PhD in Theology and Drama together with other professional commitments. He is married to Virginia, a musician, and has two children.

book cover The Church

The Church of St Oswald was consecrated for the worship of God on 22 October 1908 as part of the worldwide Christian Church and as a companion to both St John the Baptist Church (consecrated in June 1834) and Holy Trinity Mission Church in Kerridge (dedicated in January 1898). (A book about the history of the building is on sale at the back of the church.)
St Oswald's is now designated as the Parish Church of Bollington, following the closure of St John's in 2003 and Holy Trinity in 2010.
Wherever we gather for worship, our aim has always been to serve the people of Bollington and Kerridge, within the Church of England Diocese of Chester and the Deanery of Macclesfield, alongside our Christian brothers and sisters of other denominations in our local community.
We welcome all people of goodwill who wish to join us in worship, companionship and service of God the Holy Trinity who came to dwell amongst us as Jesus Christ, the one who gave us the pattern of how we should live as human beings created in God's image and who continues to offer the grace of renewed energy and purpose in the light and hope which radiates from the Easter Candle. We pray that together we may work effectively for peace, justice, equality and truth.

chaliceGrowth Action Plan

Our recent GAP workshops were a wonderful opportunity for us as a church to reflect back and plan together for the future. The aim of the workshops was to seek a new vision for our church - a vision of what God wants to be doing amongst us and amongst the wider community of Bollington, and to seek ways to bring the new vision into reality. As with all new ventures, we started with a big blank piece of paper. This helped us individually to look at where we are now and to picture where we want to be in the future - to draw our dreams. Over the course of three Saturdays we refined these pictures through prayer and discussion, with real honesty and much laughter, until we arrived at the single picture you see today. It is a joyful image of a Eucharistic community which knows how to celebrate God's goodness to us but also how to reach out to the community and connect with those in need, in pain, in difficulty, who don't belong, who feel lost or neglected. The key phrase that emerged to accompany the vision was "connecting and transforming" which we understood to refer to both ourselves - being connected to God and to each other and being transformed into His image - and to a mission for connecting with the wider community and playing our part in its transformation, enabled by the power of the Holy Spirit.


Annual Report

download a copy here


Donationsofferings

The Parish Church, its building, activities and clergy are entirely funded by voluntary contributions.

We do NOT receive any financial support from the Government, the Diocese, or the Church Commissioners.

Please visit our Donations page to see how you could help to keep us operating both as a centre of worship and as a resource for the local community

Support us every time you shop on line through

easyfundraising.org.uk

Read more...