Revd Canon Veronica Hydon has been Vicar of Bollington since March 2007. She will be retiring at the end of 2020.
After a brief spell as a primary school teacher, Veronica spent 13 years as a marine cargo insurance broker in the City of London, starting in 1975, the year that women were first allowed into the Room at Lloyd’s.
Ordained deacon in 1991 at St Paul’s Cathedral to serve in the East London parish of Poplar, she was one of the first women to be ordained priest in 1994. From 1995 she served as Priest-in-Charge of a small Essex village whilst working as Lay Development Officer for Chelmsford diocese before moving in 2000 to serve as Vicar of Forest Gate, another inner city parish. After marrying Dave, in 2003 they moved up to the parish of Timperley in Chester diocese. She was made an Honorary Canon of Chester Cathedral in March 2014 and served as the Rural Dean of Macclesfield from 2014 to 2019.
Telephone 01625 422 849
Anne Coomes is from Long Island New York, and comes from a mixed-church family. Her mother grew up a Methodist and married an Episcopalian, who then became a Presbyterian minister. The family moved over in 1971, when her father then took on a Congregational Church in Richmond Surrey.
After the American School in London, Anne did theology at London School of Theology and was confirmed an Anglican in 1981.
She has worked in Christian radio, newspapers, magazines and book writing. She was Communications Officer to the Diocese of Peterborough for seven years. Nowadays she runs a website to help church magazine editors, ParishPump.co.uk. Last year she finished a Post-Grad Diploma in Theology at Nazarene Theological College in Didsbury.
Anne became a Reader in 1999, and has served at St Catherine’s Birtles and Holy Trinity Hurdsfield. She moved to Bollington about 12 years ago, and loves exploring the area with her collie, who fortunately does not chase sheep!
The Church of St Oswald was consecrated for the worship of God on 22 October 1908 as part of the worldwide Christian Church and as a companion to both St John the Baptist Church (consecrated in June 1834) and Holy Trinity Mission Church in Kerridge (dedicated in January 1898). (A book about the history of the building is on sale at the back of the church.)
St Oswald’s is now designated as the Parish Church of Bollington, following the closure of St John’s in 2003 and Holy Trinity in 2010.
Wherever we gather for worship, our aim has always been to serve the people of Bollington and Kerridge, within the Church of England Diocese of Chester and the Deanery of Macclesfield, alongside our Christian brothers and sisters of other denominations in our local community.
We welcome all people of goodwill who wish to join us in worship, companionship and service of God the Holy Trinity who came to dwell amongst us as Jesus Christ, the one who gave us the pattern of how we should live as human beings created in God’s image and who continues to offer the grace of renewed energy and purpose in the light and hope which radiates from the Easter Candle. We pray that together we may work effectively for peace, justice, equality and truth.
Growth Action Plan
Our GAP workshops were a wonderful opportunity for us as a church to reflect back and plan together for the future. The aim of the workshops was to seek a new vision for our church – a vision of what God wants to be doing amongst us and amongst the wider community of Bollington, and to seek ways to bring the new vision into reality. As with all new ventures, we started with a big blank piece of paper. This helped us individually to look at where we are now and to picture where we want to be in the future – to draw our dreams.
Over the course of three Saturdays we refined these pictures through prayer and discussion, with real honesty and much laughter, until we arrived at the single picture you see today. It is a joyful image of a Eucharistic community which knows how to celebrate God’s goodness to us but also how to reach out to the community and connect with those in need, in pain, in difficulty, who don’t belong, who feel lost or neglected.
The key phrase that emerged to accompany the vision was “connecting and transforming” which we understood to refer to both ourselves – being connected to God and to each other and being transformed into His image – and to a mission for connecting with the wider community and playing our part in its transformation, enabled by the power of the Holy Spirit.
click to see our Annual Report
Anyone who qualifies may apply to be entered on our electoral roll, and will then be entitled to nominated to be a member of the Parochial Church Council, and to vote at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting.